Friday, April 4, 2008



Hey, guys, I am in this restaurant that has wi-fi access and I am using a friend's computer, it is heavenly as it has an English keyboard and it only took 5 minutes to upload this photo, as opposed to 25 while crashing the whole computer. Thank you, Emily!

Thank you again for all your words of support during this time! I hope that you will consider sending me a care package or a letter, it is so amazing how these things can be a real pick me up. When a volunteer gets a care package it is exciting for everyone - already, nutritional needs are being met at a significantly lower level than in the US (just the nature of the season, what is available here, and cooking methods, ie - cooking to death!), and morale is effected by the many hours of tedious classroom study, plus overwhelming homestay, each day....

Yesterday when we knocked off we were able to go out and then stay at the center afterwards, which was great, as I am getting to know some volunteers better, and to hear that my concerns are not just in my head! This is a hard time for everyone. I don't want to say anything negative so I am trying to reframe the problems that I have with training in my own head. And no one said that this work would be easy or fun - especially the part leading up to the actual job! Who likes training, especially for 10 hours a day.....from what everyone says, service is very different.

So I am also trying to take my ego out of this and observe how I feel and the thoughts in my head without reacting. I want to leave like 65-95% of the time, and think about it a huge amount. I have a huge amount of resistance to language training and study, but today I don't want to leave at all, I really love it, so it is a good exercise in knowing that things change. Moreover, I am pretty dedicated in my mind to making it through this tough training period.

Basically, when I am in the culture and with my people it is challenging but it is the stuff that I love, whereas in the classroom.....not so much! But who loves their job all the time.....maybe no one! And overall this is a sacrfice anyway....so these are some thoughts going through my head which will, also, change! I try to take things as they come these days without developing attachments one way or another.

The above photo was taken one of our first nights here, a "band" came to the centre to give us a taste of Senegalese music. OK, it was very set up, but it was interesting - our first slice of Senegalese culture! Some volunteers went dancing last night after dinner, which I have yet to try, but I hear that the music is awesome.

Tonight I am going to a baptism in our village, a big deal, and hope to post more culture photos soon, especially of my Senegalese family and the kids. The Jaxates. My Senegalese name is Assa Jaxate. I love it. So I could say loads more about my family but will wait till next week with some photos to support.

Love you! Jamm ak jamm! (Peace and peace!)

No comments: